Are you a recent engineering graduate who would like to study, live, or work in Australia? Well, the skilled recognized graduate visa (subclass 476) allows you to do just that for up to 18 months!
Australia is well-known for its excellent culture, good wages, and great living standard, and for skilled graduates, the visa subclass 476 is a direct pathway to get there.
In this comprehensive article, I will guide you through the entire process of applying for graduate visa 476, drawing from my own experiences.
What is a 476 Visa in Australia?
With the skilled recognition visa subclass 476, engineering graduates can move to Australia for up to 18 months to live, work, or study.
This visa is specialized for fresh graduates, prioritizing the following requirements:
- Applicant must have completed studies within the last two years,
- The applicant is under 31 years old,
- The applicant does not hold any other Australian visas, such as subclass 485.
This visa can be extended so that you can stay in Australia longer, but you can’t apply for a second skilled graduate visa (graduate visa 476). To learn more about subclass 476, consult with the trusted migration agents of the Immigration and Education Services (IES) Portal to see how the visa can work for you
You can be anywhere while applying for visa 476. However, you must not be in Australia when you are granted a visa.
The best part about this visa is that as long as it is valid, you have the freedom to travel to other countries and return to Australia as often as you want. As an added benefit, you can bring your loved ones for the duration of your visa.
But before applying, you should read the guidelines. You can get this information from the IES Portal Consultants.
Benefits of Visa Subclass 476
The following are the benefits of visa subclass 476 in Australia.
- With this visa, you can stay in Australia for a period of up to 18 months, starting from the date of the visa grant. This is a great opportunity if you are eager to explore Australian life and culture.
- One of the most interesting things about Visa 476 is that you can include your eligible family members in your visa application. This means you can bring your loved ones with you to the country.
- With the 476 Visa Australia, you can study, work, and live anywhere you want in Australia without any limits or restrictions. This means you can pursue your academic goals, work toward your career goals, and enjoy the full Australian way of life.
- You don’t even need to go through the hassle of obtaining points or nominations for eligibility. The 476 Visa Australia can set you up for temporary work visas and permanent residency.
Skilled Recognized Graduate Visa Requirements
There are a lot of requirements that you must meet to get a skilled graduate visa (graduate visa 476). I have a lot of experience helping people through the application process and below are all of the requirements for this visa. I will split them into sections so they will be easier to understand.
1. General Requirements
To be eligible for this visa, you must meet all the requirements outlined below.
- You must be 31 years old or younger. There are no exceptions to this rule.
- You must have gotten a valid engineering degree from a recognized school within the last 24 months.
- It’s also important that you don’t already have or have ever applied for the skilled recognized visa or the visa subclass 485. Only dependent family members are exempted from this rule. Click this link to read an article I wrote on what to do when your 485 visa expires.
As for the qualifications needed to get a skilled graduate visa, you have a few choices. These qualifications are:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Postgraduate Diploma.
- Master’s Degree
- Doctoral Degree
Also, you must have a major or specialization in engineering. The fields that qualify include:
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Production and Plant Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Instrument and Control Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
3. Eligible Institution
The Washington Accord must accredit the school you graduated from.
4. Health Requirements
You must meet certain health requirements, which can differ depending on the situation. These criteria generally involve taking a medical test and providing information about your plans in Australia, where you are from, and where you have been in the last 5 years.
Note that these rules apply to all family members on the application, whether or not they’re moving to Australia.
The results of all health exams are good for a year.
5. Character Requirements
Character requirements are also an important part of the subclass 476 visa application process. You need a police certificate that says you haven’t been convicted of a crime in the last ten years.
Also, you must get a police certificate from every country where you’ve lived for a year or more after the age of 16.
6. Language Requirements
Proof of proficiency in certain English language tests, like:
- A score of 50 on PTE with at least a score of 36 on each of the four parts
- A band score of 6 on IELTS with at least a score of 5 on each of the four parts
- An equivalent score on the TOEFL iBT, OET, or CAE
7. Family Members
When it comes to family, you can only include your spouse and your children or stepchildren on your visa application.
Even though getting a skilled recognized graduate visa could have a lot of benefits, it is important to know the details of the application process so that you don’t get turned down.
The experts at the IES Portal are here to help you and ensure that your application is optimized according to the latest rules set by the Immigration Department. This will help you get a positive result as quickly as possible.
How to Apply for Graduate Visa 476
You can apply online using ImmiAccount and upload scanned copies of the needed papers. You must complete the visa money to have your application processed; else, your application will not be approved.
You may apply for this visa from anywhere in the world, but you must not be in Australia when you are issued this visa.
Subclass 476 Visa Application Checklist
Before starting the application process, ensure you meet all the eligibility requirements. In this section, I will provide a comprehensive checklist to guide you through the application process.
- Show your prowess in English by providing evidence of your English language proficiency. This can be done through various English language tests such as the IELTS, TOEFL iBT, PTE, or OET.
- You must also meet the health and character requirements set by the Australian Department of Home Affairs. This includes undergoing various health examinations and obtaining a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months.
- Fill out the Subclass 476 visa application form accurately and completely. Ensure that all information provided is true and correct, lest you suffer the consequences of dishonesty.
- You’ll also need to gather your passport, official transcripts, English proficiency scores, medical exam results, and police clearance certificates.
- You will also pay a fee for the visa. You can use a credit card to pay the fee online.
- Once you have completed all of the preceding stages, you can submit your visa application online or by mail. Failure to submit the correct information or needed papers may cause your visa application to be delayed or even rejected.
Before sending in your application, you should carefully read through the application checklist and ensure all requirements are met.
Visa 476 Interview Tips
You may need to attend an interview when applying for a skilled graduate-recognized visa in Australia. Let me take you through the process, drawing on my expertise as a former interviewer.
- Be sure of your mission and their expectations of you before you go. This will help you give better answers to their questions.
- Even if you know big words, try answering questions using simple words so your interviewers will understand.
- Consider using examples of things you’ve done that demonstrate your expertise in your field. This will boost your confidence.
- Maintain an optimistic outlook. Speak about what you’re excellent at and what you like doing.
- Put on a good outfit. First impressions are crucial, so dress smartly and neatly.
- If you want to work for a particular company, take your time to research its mission and values.
- Be sure to arrive early so you can settle in and get ready. Being punctual demonstrates that you are responsible and eager to succeed.
Skilled Graduate Visa Cost & Processing Time
The subclass 476 visa application cost is AUD410. But if you bring your loved ones, you will have to pay more for your visa because you must pay extra for each family member.
2. Processing Time
Processing time for your 476 visa in Australia is estimated to be at least one year. In some cases, it might take up to one and a half years to complete your application.
If you fail to provide the required documentation or respond promptly to Department of Home Affairs inquiries, the processing period for your visa may be extended.
Reasons for 476 Visa Rejection
Common reasons for subclass 476 visa rejection include the following:
- Your application may be rejected if you don’t fill it out correctly or forget important information. Ensure you double-check before submitting.
- Visa 476 requires a recent engineering degree. You cannot apply for this visa if you have not recently graduated from an engineering program.
- You may be rejected if you don’t demonstrate sufficient English proficiency.
- Your visa application may be rejected if you don’t meet health requirements.
- Visas require good character. If you’ve committed a crime, your application may be denied.
- Failure to provide requested information or documents.
Skilled Recognized Graduate Visa Facts and Statistics
Below are some facts you should know about skilled recognized graduate visas.
- If you have a Special Category (subclass 444) visa, you may apply in Australia and be issued a Bridging Visa to stay in Australia while your application is being processed.
- As long as your visa is still valid, you can leave and re-enter Australia as often as you choose.
- The period spent outside Australia does not count toward the visa’s extension.
- You may work and study at the same time.
- The decision on your visa application will be communicated to you in writing. If you are granted a visa, you will be made aware of your visa number, the commencement date of your visa, and the terms of your visa.
- If your subclass 476 visa is denied, you will be told the reason, and you may appeal the decision.
- Your application fee is nonrefundable in the event that your application is denied.
Best Ways to Apply for a 476 Visa Australia
Use the IES Portal to speed up the processing of your application for a subclass 476 visa. We’re an established Australian immigration service provider that can streamline your application process.
Visit us or set up a consultation with a consultant now if you’re considering relocation to Australia. Learn more about our services by checking our “About Us” page.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. You don’t have to be outside the country when applying for this visa. However, you must not be in Australia when you are granted this visa.
This is an international pact between organizations that accredit engineering degree programs across the world.
The Washington Accord was first signed in 1989. It is an agreement between bodies in charge of accrediting tertiary-level engineering qualifications in their countries. They have chosen to work together to make it easier for professional engineers to move around.
For your 476 visa in Australia to be processed, your school must be accredited by the Washington Accord.
You can live, work, or study in Australia with a 476 Visa. This can be done by submitting the necessary documents to complete your visa application.
This visa is an excellent way for recent engineering graduates to work, study, or live in Australia. Also, a graduate visa 476 to permanent residency or a provisional skilled visa is possible if you are eligible.
Get in touch with our immigration consultant for assistance if you get stuck on the application. Our consultants will increase your chances of getting this visa.
DISCLAIMER: Please note that the information provided on this website is for general understanding only and should not be considered as legal advice. Every pages of the website is not updated every day. It is recommended to consult with our lawyers for latest information.