Family Sponsorship Visa Options in Australia

Are you considering bringing any of your family members to Australia with you? Australia has a sound education system, good job prospects, and a laid-back way of life. It’s a beautiful place to live with your spouse, establish a family, or spend quality time with your aging parents. As a citizen or permanent resident of Australia, you can help your family members move there. In this article, I’ll walk you through the various family sponsorship visa in Australia that can help you achieve this goal. 

What are the Family Sponsorship Visa Options in Australia? 

Sponsoring family members for a family and relative visa is an option open to Australian and New Zealand citizens. It is also available to permanent residents who meet specific requirements. These family visa options often allow you to bring your siblings, kids, or relatives who fit the qualifying conditions. 

Depending on your situation, you may choose from different family-sponsored visa categories in Australia. Personal and financial factors determine whether or not you may sponsor a family member.  

The primary goal of a family sponsorship visa in Australia is to bring together spouses, fiancés, children, and parents. Due to the limited visa choices, getting siblings or other relatives to Australia may be difficult.  

According to the new Family Sponsorship Framework Act, you must first be approved as an eligible sponsor before filing for a Family Visa. Sponsors may be expected to fulfill various tasks, including character standards.  

Several family visas need sponsors to provide financial help for the visa applicant while they are in the country. 

I’ll explain the several categories of family-sponsored visas to Australia and the main requirements for each. 

Partner Visa Options 

Do you have a significant other who is a citizen of Australia or a permanent resident there? Do you wish to relocate to Australia with your partner? If so, you can fill out an application for a Partner visa

Talk to an Expert - Book Your Consultation

In my experience as the CEO of the Immigration and Education Services (IES) Portal, a Partner visa is for those who are married or in a de facto relationship with an Australian citizen or permanent resident.  

There are two kinds of partner visas. They are Subclass 820/801 Partner visa (onshore application) and Subclass 309/100 Partner visa (offshore application). 

There are two steps involved in obtaining a Partner visa. These steps will eventually provide you permanent residency in Australia alongside your partner.  

Initially, you’ll need to submit applications for both a temporary and permanent family-sponsored visa at the same time. If your application is accepted, you can live in Australia while your permanent residence visa application is being processed.  

After two years, you’ll need to provide more proof that you and your Australian partner are still together. You’ll also show that health and character standards. 

De facto relationships have their own set of criteria for eligibility. As the Australian partner, you must sponsor the visa application, which requires you to apply separately and provide the required documentation to the Department. 

If you are engaged to marry an Australian citizen or resident, I advise you to apply for a Subclass 300 Prospective Marriage visa. I’ve seen this type of family-sponsored visa work all the time. It has three steps. The first is to apply for a temporary subclass 300 visa offshore. If your application is approved, you can travel to and remain in Australia for up to 9 months (unless the Minister states otherwise). Following that, you may apply for an onshore partner visa. 

The application procedure for a partner and a potential marriage visa is constantly changing. Therefore, it’s essential to get professional immigration advice before applying.  

Use the IES portal to make your application process faster. Our counselors will work with you to make the process stress-free.  

Parent Visa Options 

Have you ever wished your parents could move to Australia and live with you? Are you looking for a family-sponsored visa that can take care of this? The good news is that you may apply for a Parent visa and sponsor your parents to live with you.  

You may choose from various visa alternatives. In my experience of helping with the processing of this visa, this depends on whether you intend for your parents to stay temporarily or not. 

You must be at least 18 years old and have resided in Australia for at least two years before applying for a Parent visa. Your parents must also fulfill specific criteria, including a Balance of Family tests. This means that at least half of their children must be Australian citizens and permanent residents. 

If your parents are applying for a parent visa for permanent residence, they will also need an Assurance of Support (AOS). This is similar to someone promising to offer financial help so they do not have to depend on social security payments. You may submit an AOS in support of your parent’s application. 

Parent visas are available in both temporary and permanent forms. The Contributory Parent (Temporary) and Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visas are two temporary visa possibilities. The Parent visa, Contributory Parent visa, Aged Parent visa, and Contributory Aged Parent visa are the permanent immigration possibilities. 

Yet, some of these family-sponsored visas may take years to complete, with others lasting up to 30 years! Consider the Contributory visa options if you desire a quicker processing period.  

The Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa is an excellent long-term temporary option. It permits your parent to remain in Australia for three or five years. There is even the possibility of reapplying for up to ten years afterward. 

Recall that applying for a Parent visa might be a difficult procedure. If you’re considering applying for one, you should get expert immigration guidance. The counselors at the IES Portal are experienced and will make your application process faster. 

Child Visa Options 

Do you know that kids may join their parents in Australia with a valid visa? Permanent and temporary visas are available to them. The permanent visa is for children who desire to live permanently in Australia with their parents. The temporary visa is for children who wish to remain in Australia while the Department of Home Affairs processes their parent’s permanent Partner visa application. 

There are three types of visas available for children: 

  • Subclass 101 Child visa (permanent family-sponsored visa for children who live outside of Australia) 
  • Subclass 802 Child visa (permanent visa for children who live in Australia) 
  • Subclass 445 Dependent Child visa (temporary visa for children living in or outside Australia) 

A kid must be under 18 to be eligible for a Child visa. There are limited exceptions for full-time students and children with disabilities. Also, the kid cannot be married or have a current or prior spouse or de-facto partner. 

A parent, stepparent, cohabiting spouse, or de facto partner must sponsor a child visa. The sponsor must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident. Also, the sponsor must be at least 18 years old. The welfare authorities of the child’s home state or territory may provide further help to an application for a Subclass 802 Child visa in Australia. 

Before issuing the visa, the Department may request an Assurance of Support (AOS) from the applicant. An AOS is a legal promise a person or organization makes to offer financial help to a visa application. 

The Subclass 445 Dependent Child visa allows children to remain in Australia while their parent’s partner visa application is processed. The kid must be dependent and under 18 to be eligible. If the child is over 18, they must completely depend on their parents for money or have a disability that keeps them from working. The child’s sponsorship must come from the person who sponsored their parent’s Partner visa application. 

Book an appointment with our counselors at the IES Portal to make your application process easier. 

Sponsoring Other Family Members in Australia 

Do you know Australia offers various unique visas allowing families to remain together? Suppose you have a family member who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or qualified New Zealand citizen.  

In that case, you may apply for one of these four kinds of family-sponsorship visas in Australia. 

  1. Subclass 114 Aged Dependent Relative visa: It is a family visa for an elderly family member who needs the assistance of an Australian family member to survive. This might be a sibling, a grandparent, or a grandchild. They cannot be in a romantic relationship with the person who is sponsoring them, and they must have previously been reliant on the sponsor. 
  1. Subclass 115 Remaining Relative visa: This is a family visa for a close family member who is the only one remaining in Australia, such as a brother or sister. 
  1. Carer visa (subclass 116): This family visa is for a loved one who wants to care for an Australian relative with a medical condition needing assistance for at least two years. 
  1. Orphan Relative visa (subclass 117): This is a family-sponsored visa for a kid whose parents have died, are unable to care for the child due to illness, or cannot be located. 

You may apply for a Subclass 600 Visitor visa if you wish to visit relatives in Australia for a short period. This allows you to come for a vacation, to meet friends or family, or to study for less than three months. You must have enough money to maintain yourself and a good purpose for traveling. You cannot come for business or medical reasons. 

So now you’re aware that Australia provides special visas that allow families to remain together. If you believe you are qualified, you can learn more on the Australian government’s website or by booking an appointment with our counselors at the IES Portal. 

Family-Sponsored Visa Requirements 

The criteria for obtaining a family sponsorship visa in Australia vary depending on the desired visa. These are some things you should be aware of: 

  • You must be related to the person assisting you. It might be your partner, spouse, parent, kid, or sibling. 
  • There are age requirements for both you and your sponsor. This is determined by the kind of visa you seek. 
  • You must be healthy and of excellent character. This implies you may need to consult a doctor or demonstrate that you have done nothing wrong. 
  • You may be required to demonstrate that you have enough money to support yourself. 
  • Depending on the kind of visa you desire, you may need to be fluent in English. 
  • When you apply for the visa, you must pay a charge, and you cannot get that amount back if you change your mind later. 

How to Apply for a Family Visa in Australia 

You may apply for a family sponsorship visa to visit your relatives in Australia. What you must do is as follows: 

  • Check to see if you qualify. You must ensure that you fulfill the conditions for the visa you want. This may fluctuate based on the kind of visa you need and your circumstances. 
  • Choose the appropriate family visa. There are several sorts of family visas. Choose which will serve your needs and those of your loved ones best, and go with that. 
  • Prepare your documents. You will be required to produce various papers to establish your eligibility for the visa. This might include your passport, birth certificate, and proof that you and your sponsor are related. 
  • Complete the form. You may submit your family sponsorship visa application in Australia online. You must complete the form and pay the charge. 
  • Submit your application. You may submit your application after completing the form and receiving all your documents. It may take some time for the visa officers to review your application. 
  • For certain family visas may need to speak with a visa representative. They’ll quiz you to ensure you’re speaking the truth. 
  • When you’ve submitted your application, you’ll have to wait to know whether you’re eligible for a family visa. You can monitor the situation online. 

Frequently Asked Questions on the Family-Sponsorship Visa in Australia 

Can I sponsor my brother to Australia? 

Yes, you can. As long as you’re a citizen or permanent resident, you can sponsor your brother to Australia. 

Can my sister sponsor me to live in Australia? 

Yes, your sister can sponsor you to live with her in Australia. She only has to be a citizen or an eligible resident. 

Can a permanent resident sponsor a friend in Australia? 

Yes! Permanent residents may sponsor their friends and family to visit Australia through the Australia visit visa stream. 

Can I sponsor someone to come to Australia? 

Yes, you can sponsor your family to come to Australia. 

Related Articles:


You may apply for a family-sponsored visa to visit your relatives in Australia. You must determine your eligibility, choose the appropriate visa, collect your papers, complete the form, and submit your application.  

After completing the application process, you have to wait to find out whether you can get your family sponsorship visa in Australia. Remember, you’ll need family in the country to indicate they’ll assist you. You may need to demonstrate your health and character. That might be complex, but you’ll get there if you take it slowly. 

Talk to an Expert - Book an Appointment

DISCLAIMER: Please note that the information provided on this website is for general understanding only and should not be considered as legal advice. Every pages of the website is not updated every day. It is recommended to consult with our lawyers for latest information.

6 thoughts on “Family Sponsorship Visa Options in Australia”

  1. My brother and his wife are 53 years old am I still able to sponsor him and his wife for a Family Sponsorship Visa to Australia?

  2. Good day.
    My husband a subclass visa 155 holder. AU Permanent Resident for 12 years. He would like to bring me and our children to Au (wife and 2 kids). What kind of sponsorship visa he should apply? Thanks


Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.