Do you know Australia and Canada are two countries known for their high standards in service industries?
Many people and families seek home care and cleaning services to help handle their busy lives. Whether due to work duties, family responsibilities, or a desire for more free time, the demand for these services has grown.
In this article, I will provide valuable information on how to get home support jobs in Australia and Canada.
Home Support and Housekeeping Jobs and Job Titles
Home care and cleaning jobs cover many positions crucial for a clean and safe living space for people and families. These jobs include housekeepers, cleaners, home support workers, and personal care attendants.
Housekeepers have the important job of keeping homes clean and neat. They make sure that living spaces are organized, clean, and look nice. They do various tasks like dusting, vacuuming, mopping floors, laundry, and changing bed sheets.
Cleaners maintain cleanliness and safety in different places like residential buildings, offices, hospitals, and schools. Their main tasks include sweeping, mopping, sanitizing surfaces, and restocking supplies. Cleaners add to the general well-being and safety of people in these settings.
The average salary for cleaners in Australia is around AUD 51,000 per year. In Canada, it is CAD 35,350 per year. The demand for cleaners remains steady due to the continuous need for cleaning services in various sectors.
3. Residential Support Workers
Residential support workers offer help and care to people who need support daily. They often work with fragile groups, such as the elderly and individuals with disabilities. They also help those healing from illness or accident. They provide care, mental support, and help with bathing, dressing, and food preparation.
The average salary for residential support workers in Australia is approximately AUD 65,000 per year. In Canada, it is CAD 41,290 per year.
4. Personal Care Attendants
Personal care assistants provide support to people who need help with daily tasks, often due to physical limits. They help with cleaning, grooming, medication administration, movement aid, and companionship. Personal care workers are crucial in improving the quality of life for those they care for.
In Australia, the average salary for personal care attendants is approximately AUD 61,000 per year. In Canada, it is CAD 33,207 per year.
Other job titles include:
- Home support worker jobs
- Direct support worker
- Cleaning supervisor NOC
- Residential support worker
- Housekeeping supervisor jobs
How to Get Home Support and Housekeeping Jobs in Australia and Canada
Embarking on a fulfilling career in-home support and housekeeping requires a solid foundation built upon discovering the right job opportunities. In this section, allow me to equip you with effective strategies and valuable insights to launch your successful job search.
1. Employment Requirements
To pursue a career in home support and housekeeping in Australia or Canada, you need to meet certain employment requirements. Here are the key points to consider:
- While formal education is not mandatory, possessing a high school diploma or equivalent is beneficial.
- Most employers prefer candidates who are at least 18 years old.
- A clean criminal background check is required for these roles.
- Home support jobs often involve physical tasks, so being fit is important.
- Employers may ask for references to assess your character and work ethic.
- Previous experience in similar roles or relevant industries can boost your chances of securing a job.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are essential for effective client interaction.
- Working with individuals in need of home support requires empathy, patience, and compassion.
- Attention to detail is crucial when it comes to cleanliness and maintaining a safe environment.
- Home support jobs may require flexibility in terms of working hours and schedules.
2. Language Preparation
You should have good communication skills to succeed in home support and housekeeping roles in Australia and Canada. If English isn’t your first language, consider improving your language abilities through language preparation programs. These programs can help you expand your vocabulary, understand, and communicate better. By enhancing your language skills, you’ll be able to provide excellent support and better understand the needs of the clients.
3. Government Certification
Some home support jobs may require specific government certifications. You should stay informed about the regulatory requirements in your state or territory. For instance, police or working with vulnerable people check might be necessary. Check with local authorities or relevant government departments to ensure compliance with the certification requirements.
4. Technical Expertise
Having knowledge of different cleaning tools and techniques can be beneficial. You should also update yourself about the latest cleaning technologies, including eco-friendly practices. This shows your dedication to providing excellent service.
5. List of Skills Required
You must possess diverse skills to excel in-home support and housekeeping jobs in Australia and Canada. Here are some key skills to focus on:
- Proficiency in cleaning and sanitizing living spaces to maintain hygiene standards.
- The ability to prioritize tasks and manage time.
- A keen eye for detail to ensure thorough cleaning and organization.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills to address clients’ needs.
- The capacity to understand and empathize with individuals requiring home support.
- The ability to identify and resolve challenges that may arise during housekeeping tasks.
- Flexibility in adapting to different client preferences and changing schedules.
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple tasks and maintain order.
- Endurance and physical stamina to handle the physical demands of the job.
Finding Home Support and Housekeeping Jobs
When it comes to finding home support jobs in Australia and Canada, there are several avenues you can explore. Here are some effective strategies to help you in your job search:
- Utilize popular job portals such as Indeed, Seek, and LinkedIn to search for relevant job postings. These platforms make it easy for you to narrow down your search by location, experience level, and specific needs.
- You can also look for job ads in the classifieds section of local newspapers or community publications. Many employers still use these traditional channels to advertise job openings.
- Don’t forget to reach out to your friends, family, and acquaintances and let them know that you’re looking for a job in the home support and housekeeping industry. They may know of potential opportunities or refer you to relevant contacts.
- Connect with home support agencies and service providers in your area. These organizations often have a wide network of clients and can help match you with suitable job openings.
PR Pathway for Home Support and Housekeeping Jobs
There are a few different PR pathways for home support jobs in Australia. SkillSelect is the main pathway for skilled workers to obtain permanent residency in Australia. You must have a skilled occupation on the Skilled Occupations List (SOL) and meet certain English language requirements.
Personal support jobs offer several advantages for individuals seeking PR in Canada. These occupations often fall under the skill level C category of the NOC (NOC 4412), which means they need limited formal education and training. This quality makes these jobs easier for a wider range of people to get. This increases their chances of finding work in Canada.
Moreover, as these occupations are often included in the in-demand occupation lists, individuals working in home support worker jobs have better prospects for receiving invitations to apply for PR.
LMIA and Provincial Aspects
You might need to go through the LMIA process to apply for PR through these occupations. LMIA is a document issued by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) that lets employers hire workers from other countries when there are no available Canadians or residents to fill the positions.
However, the requirements can vary depending on the province or territory where you want to work. Researching the specific provincial aspects and determining the guidelines and regulations that apply to your situation is essential.
Occupation Codes and Government List
To ensure accurate categorization and processing of immigration applications, the government assigns occupation codes to different job titles. Personal support jobs have unique occupation codes, allowing the government to track and manage the demand for these occupations. These codes are listed in the government’s occupation list, which helps determine the eligibility criteria for PR applicants.
If you have questions about visas and PR related to these occupations, you should make an appointment with the Immigration and Education Services (IES) Portal to consult with our expert lawyers.
How to Prepare Yourself for Home Support and Housekeeping Jobs
Here are some insights on preparing yourself for home support jobs.
1. Research the Local Job Market
Before diving into home support and housekeeping, you should research the local job market. This research will help you determine how many people seek these services. You will also learn the skills and qualifications required and how much money you can expect to earn.
2. Get the Necessary Certifications
Acquiring the necessary certifications will help you to stand out in the competitive job market. These certifications will give you the knowledge and skills you need to do well in your job.
3. Polish Your Language Skills
Effective communication is crucial when working in home support and housekeeping. Depending on the region, the local language may differ from your native tongue. Consider enrolling in language classes or using language-learning resources to improve your fluency.
4. Familiarize Yourself with Local Culture and Customs
Every region has its unique culture and customs. When you respect and appreciate the local culture, you can build better relationships with clients and make them feel more at ease.
5. Prepare Financially for the Transition
Transitioning into a new career often involves financial considerations. Before pursuing home support and housekeeping jobs, take the time to assess your financial situation.
Determine how you will manage your expenses during the transition period and whether you need to save or budget. A solid financial plan will help ease stress and allow you to focus on building your career.
6. Adapt to the Local Work Environment
Each workplace has its own set of expectations and work environment. When starting a home support and housekeeping job, be prepared to adapt to the specific work environment in your area.
Try to adapt to the local work environment to provide the best cleaning services. When you embrace the local work environment, you can make sure that your services meet the expectations of both employers and clients.
Here are some interview questions and answers for housekeeping jobs.
Home Support and Housekeeping Jobs Pros and Cons
The following are the benefits and drawbacks of working home support and housekeeping (personal support) jobs:
- Flexible Work Schedule
- Rewarding and Fulfilling Work
- Job Stability and Growth
- Personal Connection and Building Relationships
- Varied and Diverse Work Environment
- Physical Demands and Strain
- Emotional Challenges
- Irregular and Unpredictable Hours
- Limited Career Advancement Opportunities
- Work-Related Hazards
Finding personal support jobs in Australia and Canada can be easier by following key steps. First, you must understand the industry and what qualifications are required. Networking and connecting with people in the field can also be helpful.
When searching for jobs, be sure to highlight your relevant skills and experience. Preparing well for interviews is crucial to increase your chances of securing a job.
Additionally, staying updated on visa and work permit requirements is essential. Consider participating in training programs to enhance your skills and knowledge. You can embark on a fulfilling career providing home support and housekeeping services with the right approach and dedication.
To simplify the entire process, you can reach out to the IES Portal. Our experienced consultants will assist you in navigating the visa application and migration process, making it easier for you.
All about personal support worker opportunities in Canada. (2023, March 2). Flemingcollegetoronto.Ca. https://www.flemingcollegetoronto.ca/blog/fct-programs/all-about-personal-support-worker-opportunities-in-canada
Government of Canada, & Canada, S. (2012, January 6). NOC 2011 – 4412 – Home support workers, housekeepers, and related occupations – Unit group. Statcan.Gc.Ca. https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=122372&CVD=122376&CPV=4412&CST=01012011&MLV=4&CLV=3
Personal support worker. (n.d.). Settlement.org. Retrieved July 1, 2023, from https://settlement.org/alternative-jobs/nurse/personal-support-worker/
Singer, C. R. (2016, August 28). NOC 4412: Home Support Workers, Housekeepers, and Related Occupations – Canada Immigration and visa. Colin R. Singer. https://www.immigration.ca/noc-4412-home-support-workers-housekeepers-related-occupations
DISCLAIMER: Please note that the information provided on this website is for general understanding only and should not be considered as legal advice. Every pages of the website is not updated every day. It is recommended to consult with our lawyers for latest information.